Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Library. Aurora Consurgens.

Title: Aurora Consurgens (Wikipedia)
Edition: 15th-century ms.
Online Source: e-codices

I feel so lucky to have discovered this book online! Here's how I found it: Sandy Brown Jensen shared a lovely morning song at the Twitter for #NetNarr, and that inspired me to see what I could find by Googling Aurora (the goddess of dawn) and alchemy. And look what Google led me to: Aurora Consurgens: "The Aurora consurgens is an alchemical treatise of the 15th century famous for the rich illuminations that accompany it."

There is a helpful description of the images here, but you might see things differently. For example, in the case of the woman below, I'm pretty sure that has to be menstruation, not childbirth, as the description suggests. The zodiac calendar would seem to connect with the monthly period, right?

Even better, the Zurich version of the manuscript is online! Here are some of my favorite images; you can browse the manuscript for yourself and see which ones you like best:

(page)

(page)

(page)

(page)

(page)



No comments:

Post a Comment